When the unexpected occurs, it’s important to be prepared. We’ve put together a list of emergency items to keep in your car — that way you’ll be ready if you ever find yourself in an unlucky situation.
No matter the time of the year, there are a few items that you should always keep in your vehicle as an emergency kit. These include:
- Water and non-perishable food to stay hydrated and fill you up in case you’re waiting on the side of the road for awhile
- Road maps of areas that you frequently drive through in case you lose cell phone reception
- A flashlight and road flares to help with visibility when darkness falls
- A first-aid kit in case an injury occurs out on the road
- Jumper cables to ensure you can always start your car — or help someone else start theirs — when a battery dies
Winter is no joking matter in Toronto. Make sure you always have the following items in your vehicle during the colder months:
- A warm blanket to keep you warm when your car won’t turn on
- Extra clothing, gloves, hats, scarves, and shoes so you can add layers if needed
- Kitty litter or sand to help you get traction when you’re stuck in the snow
- A shovel and ice scraper to help clear your car and dig yourself out of snow
Even if the weather’s warm, you still need to be prepared for emergencies. Make sure you have these items in your car during the summer:
- An umbrella to help provide you with shade if you need to stand out in the sun
- Extra water that will keep you hydrated and help cool your engine if your vehicle is overheating
Keeping these items on hand will help you stay prepared for emergencies. While you’re at it, remember to schedule routine service here at Downtown AutoGroup in Toronto, Ontario, so you can be confident that your vehicle is running at its best.